"Life isn't long enough to do all you could accomplish. And what a privilege even to be alive. In spite of all the pollutions and horrors, how beautiful this world is.
Supposing you only saw the stars once every year. Think what you would think. The wonder of it!"--Tasha Tudor



Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spiffy-ing up the studio

My little studio is in desperate and long over-due need of a fresh paint job.

Looking out the studio back door, there is a new blanket of snow.

Even the furniture outside the studio is begging for some fresh paint.
That will have to wait until the Spring, however.


While the outside will have to wait, at least I am able to work on the inside. I've been completely in love with Alicia's blue, but since my house is surrounded by trees and light is precious, I decided to go with a lighter color, a lovely yellow, and use the blue as an accent color rather than do up the whole room with it.


I am using that blue along with quite a few others for accent colors instead. This, however, is why I think the people in the Home Depot's paint department run when they see me coming.

I can't even begin to tell you how many gallons of paint I have purchased, painted entire walls (or sometimes entire rooms) only to decide I didn't like the color and had to go back to the store. Then I discovered that you can buy small jars of paint which are intended to be samples for you to try out a swatch of color to see if you like it. For about $4 per color, they will go to their spiffy little computer and then mix up any color you like. Oh joy! Oh happy day! Well, for me anyway. The folks in the Home Depot paint department?....mmmm....not so much.


I have two identical sets of built in drawers with a long desk-top going across a radiator which is in the center of the two. The drawers are old and rather, well, crappy. They really should be replaced, but that will have to be on the 'some day' list. For now, I replaced and painted a couple of broken knobs and loosely hand-painted some cheery designs on the drawer fronts, trying not to get too 'perfect,' which is not easy for someone who usually paints tiny illustrative detail. It is hard to tell from the photo, but there is a bit of the pink shmooshed into the yellow and vice versa. The checkerboards are a bit wonky, you get the idea. There is an identical dresser to the right of this one. The Mister painted the bottom drawers (missing from the photo) blue for me so now I've got to decorate them up a bit. I will try and find a couple of old skeleton keys for the keyholes in the stripey drawers and hang a big fat colorful tassel from each one.

So I've got my lovely-favorite-blue drawers but now I need to paint something on them. I'm thinking a red rick-rack border? And I will need to do some sort of design on the knobs. What do you think?


I've still got quite a bit to do in the studio. I will show you when it is done. Oh, I do hope I will have enough paint to do my chair. If not, back to the Home Depot.....CS ^..^

13 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Oh my golly~~that is going to be such a unique piece of furniture!
Your studio will be so cozy, you'll never want to leave!
I hope you show us the entire process of renewing that area!
You'll inspire us to get busy too.

ClassyChassy said...

Ditto! I'd like to be in on the process, too! Very fun!

Anna M said...

It's kind of wierd but I don't get mixed colors from the store. I buy the base colors I love, eggshell, palest pink, cream from the cow, pale blue and then I mix it to suit. I measure as I go and *then* I make enough to paint whatever I want. I almost never like the colors from the store so usually end up mixing my own. Whatever is left over? accents and small bits.

I'm changing my colors for this house, less white, more cream from the cow color and adding reds, deeper blues and raspberry instead of pink. This should be an interesting summer *lol*

Pam said...

That chest of drawers reminds me of Mary Engelbreit art! :) Cute!

Dances with Corgis said...

Can't wait to see the final look!

What a fantastic space. I feel inspired just peeking in. :)

betty said...

wow, look at all that snow outside!! I can't wait to see your finished project inside! I didn't know you could buy those small containers of paint; I'll have to remember that for the future, thanks for the info :)

betty

Tanya said...

That is so charming! You are talented in many areas :)

Infrared Goggles said...

Will you come paint my dresser? So cute! And thanks for the Home Depot paint tip. Such a great project, cannot wait to see more!

natalie jo said...

A red rick-rack border? You couldn't have come up with a better match to go with that blue! And what about some red knobs with bright white polka dots on them? I can't wait to see the finished product...

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy, it must be the painting season as lots of us seem to be at it. I'd never have thought of painting different colours and pattern on each drawer but I like the effect very much. Keep going, it looks like a lot of fun. Our house is also sutrrounded by trees and here in northern England the light is bluer than it is further south so blue paint is NOT a good choice (most annoying as I love it). Happy painting. Eli

Anonymous said...

Oh my sweet girlfriend Cat! You are so amazing and inspirational! Whenever I'm down, I check out your website and instantly I'm lifted up. I'm blessed having you as a friend. Love you always,

Steph

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

You reminded me it's time for spring cleaning (overdue since last spring... :P) Can't wait to see how it all looks when it's done, I need some inspiration!

^..^Corgidogmama said...

How's the work on the studio coming along? Hope you'll post the results when you finish.