"Life isn't long enough to do all you could accomplish. And what a privilege even to be alive. In spite of all the pollutions and horrors, how beautiful this world is.
Supposing you only saw the stars once every year. Think what you would think. The wonder of it!"--Tasha Tudor



Saturday, April 7, 2007

Sandi's eggs...

I love my friends :) Sandi Eaton called one day last week to say, 'come over Sunday morning, I'm going to make Ukranian Easter Eggs.' I was not surprised that Sandi had at the ready jars full of dye in really cool colors and many different electric and antique styluses used to draw your design on the egg with beeswax. This is the same friend I called when the Corgi puppies were born who I knew would be the only other person crazy enough to have a tank of oxygen for a sick puppy. She was at my door within an hour. Did I mention it was midnight? So, no I'm not suprised that Sandi has these neat little tools. Actually, Sandi and her sisters are really into making these eggs. Next time I go I'll have to take a photo, but hers are amazing! My egg, above was my first attempt. Sandi's are much more intricate. That is Sandi in the photo above and Cindi Rusokovitch peering out behind her in the kitchen. Cindi's egg was really cool too. When your egg is done, you have to 'candle' it, by holding it at just the right distance from a lit candle and wiping the many coats of wax from the egg to reveal the brilliant colors, after which, the egg is blown out and set to dry. I had just finished my egg when I dropped it. There was the unmistakable 'crack' of a breaking egg. We had a moment of silence for my egg. Of course then we all got the giggles. Cindi, who has the patience of a sainted woman, (she's holding my egg above) took it and continued candling it to remove the wax. Sandi put a few coats of mod podge on it so maybe it will hold, time will tell. Now do you see why Miss Butterfingers paints on wooden eggs? If I didn't, none of my Corgi art fans and friends would have their little Santa and Easter eggs! Have a happy weekend, everyone! -CS ^..^

1 comment:

Alicia P. said...

Your egg was so good! I lived in terror of dropping mine all day. In fact, they were set up in the bedroom and when one toppled (it stayed on the shelf but just fell off its little holder) in the middle of the night, I actually woke up (and made Andy get up and fix it -- he was closer). :-)